Early Intervention in Everyday Routines & Play: Activities & Tips
With these Early Intervention activities, play ideas, online workshops & checklists parent can become:
Parents as Co-Interventionists
- If a child is showing some delays or concerns parents become a vital part of the early intervention helping team. With the right activities and ideas parents can teach and boost skills specific in the home setting and within the family routines. Parents can reinforce and ensure maintenance of early intervention targets once they have been established.
- Parents can use resources, activities and ideas to optimise play or reading sessions. Lots of children learn in the relaxed home environments. With the right resources parents can capitalise on this loving environment that is not so structured.
- If parents can obtain the right information and understand the goals of any early intervention therapy they can become a full partner in planning, implementing and evaluating the intervention.With a large variety of resources, activities, books and ideas parents can pick the options that suit them and their child the most.
- With information and checklists parents know what to look for to help their child grow and learn.
- Parents become a vital part of early intervention as they are the connection between all aspects of the child’s life – Generalisation HELPER.
- The parents that have the early intervention resources and knowledge of special techniques that just look and feel like play through fun activities can facilitate their children’s generalized use of new skills and promote development! As parents you can model, prompt and reinforce newly-learned skills in natural contexts and building fun experiences for the parent and child!
- Children can use skills in lots of different settings e.g., home, playgroup, school, swimming, park. Parents are likely to be reinforced for their efforts as generalisation of skills can mean less behavioural problems.
SpeechNet Speech Pathology provides families with these early intervention play tips, ideas and activities.
Do you want to make sure you are giving your babies and toddlers the best chance to have later academic success. Do you want them to have social confidence so they can build friendships? How and what we say to our children in the early years has been shown to have a major impact in the school years. Researchers call this “parentese” – the speech of parents.
- You can use everyday routines to provide the optimum language examples for your child. This will provide them with the best learning foundations that will impact on their development for many years to come.
Early Intervention in Everyday Routines: Video Blogs + FREE Printables
This VIDEO blog guides you through the everyday tooth brushing routine. It takes ONE simple MOMENT in that routine to boost speech and language development. Along with the video it has a FREE PRINTABLE that parents can use as a prompt.
FREE PRINTABLE FOR THE TOOTH BRUSHING BLOG - be sure to watch the video
This VIDEO blog guides you through the everyday applying sunscreen routine. It takes ONE simple MOMENT in that routine to boost speech and language development. Along with the video it has a FREE PRINTABLE that parents can use as a prompt.
FREE PRINTABLE FOR THE TOOTH BRUSHING BLOG - be sure to watch the video
Early Intervention in Play - Toys: Teaching & Talking Tips Printables
Teaching & Talking Tips are built around our FOCUS technique. With each download you will receive pages++ of information and tips broken down into an easy to read and understand format that will inspire you with ideas that you can put into practice today!
FREE TEACHING & TALKING TIPS PRINTABLES
LET'S FOCUS ON BUBBLES
An action packed PDF showing how to use bubbles to build Social Communication Skills, Understanding of Language and Speech (sounds, words & sentences). FREE bubble recipes included! This FREE download is linked with our Bubbles Blog
BOOSTING LANGUAGE WITH SKITTLES
An action packed PDF showing how to use SKITTLES to build Social Communication Skills, Understanding of Language and Speech (sounds, words & sentences). This FREE download is linked with our SKITTLES VIDEO Blog
ENCOURAGING QUESTIONS WITH TRAINS
An explanation and age appropriate examples of Encouraging Questions. Use this informative PDF to show you how to Encourage Questions while playing with TRAINS with your child. Take a look at the 4 levels of questions and how you can help encourage your child's question skills. This Free Printable is linked to our Encouraging Questions Train Blog
DEVELOPING MATHS VOCABULARY WITH SAND TOYS
Maths has a very specific vocabulary! Use this printable to get a jump start on your toddler's later maths success. With this informative Printable and Maths Vocabulary Chart you can help develop your child's Maths Vocabulary while playing with Sand Toys. This Free Printable is linked to our Maths Vocabulary Sand Play Video Blog
EDUCATIONAL TEACHING & TALKING RESOURCES
DEVELOPING SPEECH, LANGUAGE & LITERACY SKILLS WHILE PLAYING WITH A PHLAT BALL
An Educational Teaching & Talking Tips PDF jam packed full of ideas to help boost speech, language and literacy skills while playing with a Phlat Ball.
BOOSTING SPEECH, LANGUAGE & LITERACY SKILLS WHILE BUILDING WITH A MAGNETIC CONSTRUCTION KIT.
An Educational Teaching & Talking Tips PDF jam packed full of ideas to help boost speech, language and literacy skills while building with a Magnetic Construction Kit.
Teaching & Talking Tips: Books
BOOSTING SPEECH, LANGUAGE & LITERACY SKILLS WHILE Reading Books with Where's My Teddy by Jex Smith
An Educational Teaching & Talking Tips PDF jam packed full of ideas to help boost speech, language and literacy skills while reading.
BOOSTING SPEECH, LANGUAGE & LITERACY SKILLS WHILE Reading Books with The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
Early Intervention Online Program
The Focus On Toddler Talk Online Program is jam packed full of early intervention activities, ideas and information to help carers develop and boost speech and language through play!
The Focus On Toddler Talk Unique family focused online Video Programs are presented by Dr Sandra McMahon, Speech Pathologist, PhD & Rachel Otto, Child worker both with over 20 experience in child development arenas. Through the use of online checklists, video tutorials, video demonstrated activities & printable materials, parents learn to set up play sessions and take advantage of everyday activities to improve their child’s communication and learning skills.
Each STEP of the program contains a specific FOCUS that helps parents learn fun & key techniques shown in research to optimise speech, language & literacy skills. Each Steps checklist allows you to adapt ideas to your child’s level – ideal for children at risk of late development, doing OK or advanced. This provides a comprehensive and personalised learning experience just for your family ensuring your child reaches his or her fullest communication and learning potential. Start helping your child TODAY!
This unique 8-week++ interactive video program will FOCUS on giving you the essential techniques to boost speaking skills for late talkers and advance the skills of all toddler’s vocabulary and communication skills – communication is the key for all learning and social interactions. Early vocabulary has been linked to later school success. It is aimed at children between 18 months and 3 years. It is particularly ideal for children using less than 100 words and or building words into first sentences. See the Focus On Toddler Talk Program HERE!
March 7, 2019
September 4, 2017
August 9, 2017
August 4, 2017
See how Focus on Toddler Talk can Start Boosting your child's Speech and Language today!
Contact us and an experienced Speech Pathologist will answer. We are here to help!
Ideas for Home
Early Intervention Activities, Resources & Ideas for home.
Developmental Milestones & Online Checklists
Games & Toys
Educational Games and Toys. With Printables!
Educational Book resources with Printables
Early Intervention We're Here To Help
PHONE: 07 3349 9234
Brisbane SpeechNet is open Monday - Saturday
62 Nursery Road, Holland Park West QLD 4124 Australia
We're Here to Help!
SEND A MESSAGE / ASK A QUESTION / BOOK AN APPOINTMENT
(Hancock & Kaiser, 2002, Hemmeter & Kaiser l990)