Skype / Tele-Medicine
Skype/tele-medicine speech therapy is something SpeechNet Speech Pathology has been providing for many years – for all children 0-18 years for all communication and feeding difficulties. Can’t come to one of our clinics? No problem – contact us and we can provide reliable, proven and quality speech pathology services to your child “over the internet”.
Who is Skype Speech Therapy Services for?
We are very excited about providing flexible services for parents that are unable to attend a clinic due to distance, family or situational circumstances. Our speech therapy services for children are for children 0-18 years.
There is a growing body of research demonstrating the amazing outcomes that can be obtained with services not delivered in a “face-to-face” clinical setting. There is a range of names give to services delivered “over the internet” includes telehealth, telepractices, telemedicine, teleSLP, telespeech, telespeechtherapy to name a few. This can include:
Synchronous Telehealth Systems
This is where a video link is set up between the clinician and the child/parent. Therapy is delivered in “real time” as if “one-to-one” but at a distance. We can conduct assessments and treatment for most communication and feeding issues – even if your child is not one to sit still in front of the computer! How does this work? Well we have heaps of experience to help gain the child’s interest via the computer screen; we share games and activities between the clinician’s and child/parent’s home screen; and/or we demonstrate the activity and then the parent or carer tries it while the clinician is watching to give feedback and suggests to improve performance.
Asynchronous Telehealth Systems
This is when the Telehealth speech pathologists and client may talk over the phone to decide on a programme or series of actions. These may include
○ the parent or carer carrying out the suggestions and then reporting back the outcomes.
○ There is an exchange of videos sent via email or other system. These videos demonstrate a technique. Similarly the parent may take a video of their child and the speech pathologist analysises or assesses out comes once they have watched the videos.
○ The parent works through an online programme (e.g, see our Online Late Talker/Early intervention programme – Toddler Talk) and then there are either video links or phone links for the parent to ask questions or the clinician to help further refine the information specific to your individual child.
○ A “home programme” with activities and instructions are sent home/ emailed to the family and regular email/video calls/face-time or phone calls are made to monitor progress and refine the programme depending on how the child progresses.
A combination of synchronous and asynchronous service options.
The type of service is dependent on the child. We consider the child’s age, willingness to “work” at a computer screen and the therapy goals.
Also see our Online line parent courses and resources in our SpeechNet shop for focused techniques and video training available to parents for in home support.
How does Skype Speech Therapy work?
We use a range of platforms to conduct the telemedicine speech pathology services. They can be from Skype or Facetime. video messenger or dedicated platforms over the web. Which ever one we use for your child all you need is a device (e.g, phone, laptop, iPad that has microphone and video camera capabilities) and a reliable internet connection. NO special equipment at your end is needed.
Contact our clinic on 07 3349 9234 and tell our friendly reception staff that you are interested in Skype or out of clinic services. An appointment time with a Speech Pathologist will be booked. This can be a phone call or a Skype session to obtain background information and areas of concerns as we would always conduct in any new client session. We often email basic forms so that this process can be completed smoothly.
Our therapists have been trained to make the sessions fun to keep the children engaged. Depending on the age of the child, we may ask for parents he help us out at the “other end”.
We have successfully seen outcomes for children with:
• all levels of autism when specific goals are defined and therefore specific steps can be offered
• infant. baby, toddler and child feeding difficulties – breast, bottle, transition to solids or fussy eaters
• speech clarity or articulation
• Late or slow to talk
• Early Intervention
• Understanding spoken language (Receptive language i.e., not understanding the meaning of words, following instructions, missing the point of conversations, not understanding information given verbally)
• Expressive Language – i.e, saying lots of different words, saying sentences, talking at conversation or paragraph level, spoken grammar
• Fluency or stuttering
• Social skills
• and many more – give us a call and discuss your child’s needs
Send a Booking Appointment or Email via our links below.
Telehealth related Information
PHONE: 07 3349 9234
Brisbane SpeechNet is open Monday - Saturday
62 Nursery Road, Holland Park West QLD 4124 Australia
We're Here to Help!
SEND A MESSAGE / ASK A QUESTION / BOOK AN APPOINTMENT